We can certainly fix it, I'm just wondering what makes the most sense to do so. Like I said, there's a patch sitting in our (Mozilla's) bugzilla that implements the spec-compatible behaviour. I'd be happy to fix it and relnote that it was fixed, while providing a simple workaround (which is basically calling beginPath() after calling fill/strokRect etc.)

I believe that fixing Firefox/Gecko to match the spec is the best solution. Safari 3 beta has already shipped with behavior that conforms to the spec, with substantial developer evangelism about this issue. (See, e.g., this recently published tech note: http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2007/tn2177.html#CANVAS) . Reversing the spec, and re-reversing our course to return to Safari 2 behavior, would be terribly confusing. (I'm not even sure that it's possible at this late hour.)

Thanks,
Geoff