On Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 4:34 AM Ian Hickson wrote:

Dave Singer posted a quite thorough analysis of
this issue recently.

I concur. Dave's analysis was comprehensive and thoughtful. As an ardent supporter of open standards and the public domain, I believe the courses of action being discussed are quite sensible and that the big companies' skepticism about Ogg is understandable. Let's give the process a time to sort itself out and keep our fingers crossed that a patent free solution (perhaps Ogg) may be found. The HTML WG charter's language on royalty free technologies would appear to protect against someone muscling a good royalty free solution out of consideration.

David Dailey