Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

On Mar 1, 2008, at 6:18 PM, L. David Baron wrote:

On Saturday 2008-03-01 17:08 -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
How about requiring that the base used is the one in effect when a given
relative URI is resolved, and define that URIs for resource-loading
elements are resolved at the time the relevant attribute is set or parsed
(but for hyperlinks, at the time it is dereferenced). That is easy to

That would make whether :link or :visited matches not correspond to
what you get when you click on the link, which seems pretty bad.
Hyperlinks already need to be resolved eagerly to style links
properly.

Dynamically changing <base> is a highly unlikely edge case anyway. If behavior for this case really needs to be specified in detail, then I think efficient and readily implementable behavior in the common case is more important than getting this relatively small detail right for the hypothetical page that changes <base>. Note that there are already ways to make :link or :visited not match what the link actually does, via event handlers.

I very much agree it's an edge case and would be fine with leaving it undefined.

/ Jonas