Ian Hickson wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Elliotte Harold wrote:
In the case of non-Web content, the use of HTML is an academic point, since any format would work as well.
Really? Why? and how? That's certainly not self-evident.

When you control the software used to read the data, it doesn't matter what the data format is.

Who says you control the software used to read the data? I often want to send documents around via e-mail, network mounts, ÇDs, and other non-network means. I usually don't care and don't want to care what platform or software is used to read those documents. I certainly don't wnt to have to supply such software to people I'm communicating with. HTML works very nicely for me here. Software independence is a very good idea, and hardly unique to the Web.

Admittedly, there have been a lot of software dependent document formats over the last 20-30 years. That was a mistake that hopefully we are now recovering from.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Refactoring HTML Just Published!