Bonner, Matt wrote:
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Bonner, Matt wrote:

    Hola,

    I see that the Creative Commons has proposed additions to HTML
    to support licenses (ccREL):
    http://www.w3.org/Submission/2008/SUBM-ccREL-20080501/

Tab Atkins Jr. replied:
The whole thing would be best expressed as a microformat, as the
entire thing can be made just as machine- and human-readable without
having to introduce an entire new addition to html.  I think someone
is a little confused about the important of CC...

then Dan Brickley wrote:
I encourage you to (re)-read
http://www.w3.org/Submission/2008/SUBM-ccREL-20080501/ ... the spec
explains that all of CC's concrete markup requirements are addressed
by the HTML additions in the RDFa spec. It does not propose *any* new
HTML markup to address CC's specific needs.

(big snip)

In other words, adding 'about', 'property', 'resource', 'datatype' and
'typeof' and a namespace-URI association convention to HTML5 ...

Just so I understand you, are you saying that attributes aren't markup?
Because first you say "no new markup", then you list 5 attributes to add.

Ah, sorry for the unclarity. Attributes are markup. The sentence comes as a whole: I meant that ccREL proposes no new *CC-specific* attributes or elements. They get their job done using general RDFa markup.

Second, the Introduction cites RDFa, which footnote 4 describes as "an emerging collection of attributes and processing rules for extending XHTML to support RDF". However, the Introduction text and example go
on to talk about HTML.  Independent of any other discussions, I think it
behooves the authors to clarify their intent. Is this for XHTML, HTML or both?

Yes, this could be clearer. The group's general line (Ben feel free to correct me) is that this attribute-driven markup style is intended to be largely neutral of its 'carrier' format, but that RDFa-in-XHTML is the only version that is fully specified with implementor tests etc underway. For this markup to work in other XML languages would require some more work; for it to be deployed in non-XML HTML (HTML5 etc) requires even more. But the general notion is that these attributes could be deployed in SVG-based, HTML5/6-based etc. languages too, ie. that this isn't a project tightly bound to (some specific version of) XHTML. Of course in a non-XML context, some other mechanism is needed (eg. link rels) to associate abbreviations with URLs.

Also in http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/ (now in CR at W3C, http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/CR-rdfa-syntax-20080620/)
[[
RDFa is a specification for attributes to be used with languages such as HTML and XHTML to express structured data. [...] This document only specifies the use of the RDFa attributes with XHTML.
]]

Does that help?

cheers

Dan