On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Lachlan Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 12:39 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
>>>

>> <video src="circle.mpg" width="400" height="400"> <!-- circle -->
>> <video src="circle.mpg" width="400" height="300"> <!-- pillarbox -->
>
> This is effectively how YouTube behaves now with their recent change to a
> widescreen player.  It would look terrible if 4:3 videos were stretched to
> fill the 16:9 viewport, instead of just using black bars on the side.  Even
> before when they were still using a 4:3 player, widescreen videos were
> rendered as letterbox.

Not all video players behave like the YouTube one though. Many stretch
with the width/height attributes.

I would support an explicit keepaspectratio attribute, which turns the
width/height from a video width/height to a viewport.
In fact, such an attribute would be awesome for images, too.
It could be a CSS attribute or an explicit video element attribute - I
am not fussed.

Regards,
Silvia.