At 13:59  -0500 24/02/09, WeBMartians wrote:
It's back! It won't die! :-)

Although it can be argued that a standard should not consider the work required for implementation, many of the trade-offs in reference to times and dates do indeed take the present state of code into consideration.

One reason for not supporting BCE is a disagreement between historians and, say, astronomers, on how to represent the year immediately preceding year one. Is it year -1 (1 BCE) or year zero?

Currently, the text states that all dates and times since the beginning of the common era (0001-01-01 00:00:00Z) must be supported. Yes, the Javascript values can specify dates and times before this epoch. However, there is no way to interrogate the environment as to whether or not such values can be used with <time>. That would require much more work. Thus, the limitation of common era.

I'd love to see support for BCE and even for prolepsis and non-Gregorian calendars. ...but I do see the "no BCE" compromise as a workable one.

ISO 8601 is quite precise on this issue. Since these are both machine and human-readable, why is this precision a problem?

Why would we not use ISO 6709 (Annex H, text string) as the format for location?

--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.