Ian Hickson wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2009, Peter Mika wrote:
Just a quick comment on:

  it uses prefixes, which most authors simply do not understand, and
  which many implementors end up getting wrong (e.g. SearchMonkey
  hard-coded certain prefixes in its first implementation, Google's
  handling of RDF blocks for license declarations is all done with

Actually, the problem we see is not so much the prefixes themselves but rather
the cumbersome way of specifying namespace prefix definitions using xmlns. So
I think it would make sense to have some mechanism for referencing bundles of
namespace prefixes ('profiles') or namespace registries, in order to easy
authoring.

In terms of prefixes, I find that 'com.foaf-project.name' is a lot more difficult to write than 'foaf:name'. Reverse domain names are non-intuitive for non-programmer types (or non-Java programmers).

If we can come up with a way of using the string "foaf:name" without having to declare "foaf" in each document, I'm totally in agreement. I've considered maybe registering the "foaf" URL scheme, or using some other punctuation character and having people register prefixes, but I don't know what punctuation character to use (':' and '.' are both taken).

But then we would lose the extensibility, which is the power behind all of this.

If I remember correctly, Henri had an issue with the DOM when it came to support of namespaces in XHTML, and not in HTML, which was the reason that @prefix or something along those lines proposed. There was quite positive progress in this regard, too. I don't know what happened to that progress.

But regardless, the majority of people will include metadata markup by installing a plug-in or module, and making a couple of choices. And if you put together a good ten-minute tutorial for the average developer, they'll have no problem with "foaf:name". Training and clarity of communication is much ore important than form, it always has been with technology.

The examples you come up with just don't justify discarding consideration of a capability that just started getting incorporated into Google search. I would say if your fellow Google developers could understand how this all works, there is hope for others.

Shelley