Jonas Sicking wrote:
Similarly content negotiation is something I would say is even more
doubtful that it has provided any value. The only site where I can
remember seeing content negotiation actually used is on w3.org, an
organization that is safe can be considered experts on web standards.

google.com does use it for language selection (at least it did a few months ago when Ian claimed nobody was using it :-).

Also keep in mind that Content Negotiation is widely and successfully used for negotiating compression (Content-Encoding: gzip) and different machine-to-machine formats (xml vs json).

However even here things immediately failed. When firefox started
claiming that we supported application/xml, several urls stopped
working since the browser was sent the XML file used to generate the
specification, rather than something that actually usefully could be
rendered.

Did it come with an XSLT PI?

BR, Julian