On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 17:57:36 +0200, Dimitri Glazkov <dglaz...@chromium.org> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Anne van Kesteren<ann...@opera.com> wrote:
FWIW, this is why I think pushState is great. If you bookmark it and later visit that page it allows the server to directly give the right content back instead of first loading a page which then fetches additional content based on the fragment identifier. And although disabling JavaScript these days is probably close to a non-starter it would allow you to create interfaces that have the same URL regardless of whether JavaScript is enabled or disabled
and still use fancy effects and downloaded content incrementally when
JavaScript is enabled.

True, that's a benefit -- compared to the current hash-navigation
systems. But I guess what I am trying to say is let's work to provide
ways to make navigation cheap, rather than improving ways to simulate
navigation.

Yeah, your follow-up message in the separate thread sounded rather intriguing. If JavaScript can be somehow kept-alive while navigating to a new page within a single domain, be in control of what is displayed and without security issues and all that'd be rather cool and also solve the issue.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/