Ian Hickson wrote:
On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Geoffrey Sneddon
<foolistbar at googlemail.com> wrote:
Apparently Hixie had previously said he didn't want to change this as it
will become a non-issue over time. I think it does matter due to the
security issues it presents in existing UAs. Conforming markup (using
elements/attributes allowed in HTML 4.01) should not cause JS to execute in
one browser but not in another.
I agree with you as an author. I wrote an HTML output function in MediaWiki assuming that what the standard says is known to be interoperable, which is apparently wrong. If I hadn't been keeping up with HTML 5, I would have introduced an XSS vulnerability because of some browsers' handling of `.

If the problem will go away with time, then perhaps a later version of the standard could make such unquoted attributes conforming, once there's no more problem with them.

As far as I can tell, this is an IE bug; treating "`" as an attribute quoting character is non-conforming in any version of HTML so far, it seems. I'm certainly not going to make it non-conforming to stumble into any IE bug or difference in parsing between IE and previous specs or other browsers; we'd just end up with an asanine set of conformance requirements.

I agree that it's pointless to make it non-conforming to hit any parsing bug, but I would argue that we should make as many cases as it is sensible to do so non-conforming if they open up security holes in websites on legacy UAs, given that website uses a HTML 5 parser/sanitizer/serializer.

For example, should this be non-conforming?

   <!DOCTYPE html>
   <title>Test</title>
   <form>
    <input type=submit>
   </form>

This perfectly innocent piece of HTML content (HTML2-compliant except for the DOCTYPE) results in a non-tree DOM in IE8. Should we make it non-conforming?

No, it opens up no security hole if that is done.

Similarly, IE conditional comments make it trivial to trigger scripts in IE but not another UA; indeed people do this on purpose. Should we make those non-conforming also?

They are a harder issue, but I think it is probably fair enough to assume that most sanitizers drop comments for such reasons, hence making them fine to leave as conforming also.

As I understand it, the attack here is a site that allows the user to input text that is used verbatim in two attributes, such that the user can set the first attribute's value to:

   `

...and the second to:

   ` onload='...payload...' end=x

...with the assumption that the site is going to not quote the first one, and quote the second one with double quotes:

(This is the default behaviour of Python html5lib, FWIW: the first is not quoted as it does not contain any whitespace characters or U+003E (>), the latter is quoted for that reason.)

...which in IE, for some reason, gets treated as:

         onload='...payload...'
         end='x"'>

Indeed, this is the attack I (and others) am concerned about.

I've disallowed ` in unquoted attribute values for now, but I think we should revert this once IE has fixed this bug for a few years.

Right, once versions of IE with this bug have faded out of existence I think this will become a non-issue. I also expect that'll be a while yet, though, and I highly doubt that time will have come even by the time when HTML 5 goes to REC. Furthermore, if there are similar attacks to this, I think they should similarly be made non-conforming.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon — Opera Software
<http://gsnedders.com/>