On 5/4/10 12:08 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:

3) Currently autofill for usernames looks for something like
id="username" or name="username". However on certain websites this
fails. Furthermore some websites offer a "find other members" feature
where you could type in a username. I've often seen these fields
filled in automatically with my name.

Firefox's existing password manager doesn't do this. Roughly, it assumes the username field is the first <input type="text"> before the first <input type="password"> in a form.

My previous thinking about this problem was to allow tagging the <form> element with the names of the inputs to be used for the login. For example:
  <form loginfields="abc,def">
      <input type="text"     name="abc">
      <input type="password" name="def">
  </form>

But I agree with what Jonas noted earlier in this thread; improving the login experience needs a broader solution than just tweaking HTML attributes. Additionally, I suspect that the sites with currently-broken login forms are the ones least likely to change... It's not hard to make existing sites work with existing password managers, so I don't think it's a problem more markup will solve.

Justin