On May 11, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 16:14 +0200, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>> > Good question.  What _is_ the use case here, exactly?
>>
>> E.g. allowing the user to select a font in a text editing or drawing
>> application. However, for portability it would probably be better if these
>> were limited to fonts already on the Web.
>>

> I agree, portability dictates that they should stick to the few common fonts,
> or we end up with the same situation I've had countless times where someone
> sent an MSWord file with all the bullets as some character from the Wingdings
> font then wonder why people complain that all their bullets are letters.
>
> Embedding the font isn't feasible in this case because you really can't trust
> the end-user to observe the legal aspects of the fonts they have on their
> system. The designer of a font may not have given user rights to distribute
> the font in a document that is publically available like this.

Well, my take is just the opposite.  Portability should dictate only if the
user wants portability.  I don't believe we confine what colors can be picked
based upon what is portable.

People, users, authors, etc learn over time.

We are seeing with HTML5 and all of its capabilities a real working platform
for almost anything.  I'm sure there will be ten times as many beasts created
from it as beauties but I don't see that as a reason to constrain the
possibilities.

pedz