On Sep 9, 2010, at 6:08 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Ian Hickson <i...@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> >
> > I'm not a fan of pauseOnExit, though, mostly because it seems
> > non-trivial to implement. Since it is last in the argument list of
> > TimedTrackCue, it will be easy to just ignore when implementing. I still
> > don't think the use cases for it are enough to motivate the
> > implementation cost.
>
> Really? It seems like automatically pausing video half-way would be a very
> common thing to do; e.g. to play an interstitial ad, or to play a specific
> sound effect in a sound file containing multiple sound effects, or to play
> a video up to the point where the user has to make a choice or has to ask
> to move on to the next slide. There's basically no good way to do this
> kind of thing without this feature.
>
> Also, some text cues will be fairly long and thus certain users cannot read
> them within the allocated time for the cue. So, making a pauseOnExit()
> available is a good thing for accessibility.

  I have never been a huge fan of pauseOnExit, but on reflection I agree that
it is important because event latency will make it difficult or impossible to
replicate the functionality in script.

> > > It's not clear to me that we need a way to do this; by default
> > > presumably tracks would all be off unless the user wants them, in
> > > which case the user's preferences are paramount. That's what I've
> > > specced currently. However, it's easy to override this from script.
> >
> > It seems to me that this is much like <video autoplay> in that if we
> > don't provide a markup solution, everyone will use scripts and it will
> > be more difficult for the UA to override with user prefs.
>
> What would we need for this then? Just a way to say "by the way, in
> addition to whatever the user said, also turn this track on"? Or do we
> need something to say "by default, override the user's preferences for
> this video and instead turn on this track and turn off all others"? Or
> something else? It's not clear to me what the use case is where this
> would be useful declaratively.
>

> You have covered all the user requirements and that is good. They should
> dominate all other settings. But I think we have neglected the authors. What
> about tracks that the author has defined and wants activated by default for
> those users that don't have anything else specified in their user
> requirements? For example, if an author knows that the audio on their video
> is pretty poor and they want the subtitles to be on by default (because
> otherwise a user may miss that they are available and they may miss what is
> going on), then currently they have to activate it with script.
>
> A user whose preferences are not set will thus see this track. For a user
> whose preferences are set, the browser will turn on the appropriate tracks
> additionally or alternatively if there is a more appropriate track in the
> same language (e.g. a caption track over the default subtitle track). If we
> do this with script, will it not have the wrong effect and turn off what the
> browser has selected, so is not actually expressing author preferences, but
> is doing an author override?

  I agree. It is important for a page author to be able to mark the default in
case none of the alternates match user preferences. FWIW this is the way that
alternate track groups work in MPEG-4 and QuickTime files - one track in a
group is enabled by default but is disabled if another track in the group is
enabled.

> > Alternatively, might it not be better to simply use the voice "sound"
> > for this and let the default stylesheet hide those cues? When writing
> > subtitles I don't want the maintenance overhead of 2 different versions
> > that differ only by the inclusion of [doorbell rings] and similar.
> > Honestly, it's more likely that I just wouldn't bother with
> > accessibility for the HoH at all. If I could add it with <sound>doorbell
> > rings, it's far more likely I would do that, as long as it isn't
> > rendered by default. This is my preferred solution, then keeping only
> > one of kind=subtitles and kind=captions. Enabling the HoH-cues could
> > then be a global preference in the browser, or done from the context
> > menu of individual videos.
>
> I don't disagree with this, but I fear it might be too radical a step for
> the caption-authoring community to take at this point.
>
> I think we have to get over the notion that the existing subtitling community
> is our target for this format. In fact, the new subtitling community are all
> the Web developers out there. They are the ones we should target and for them
> we should make things easier.

+1

> > > It's not clear that the former is useful. The latter may be useful; I
> > > haven't supported that yet.
> >
> > If the element is to support a single format in a single character set,
> > then there is no need for a MIME type. So, we need to be clear whether
> > we want to restrict our option here for multiple formats.
>
> As specified the spec supports multiple formats, it just only talks about
> WebSRT currently. (If it becomes likely that browsers will have different
> sets of supported formats, we can add a type="" attribute to help browsers
> find the right files without checking each one, but that's not necessary
> unless that becomes a likely problem.)
>
> OK, understood.

"type"  will definitely be necessary if we use <track> for other media types,
eg. for sign language video, descriptive audio, etc.

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> >
> > I don't expect that SVG, <canvas>, images, etc will ever natively be
> > made part of captions. Rather, I would hope that the metadata state
> > together with scripts is used. If we think that e.g. images in captions
> > are an important use case, then WebSRT is not a good solution.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Images in captions will be used, I can guarantee that.

Images are already commonly used in chapter menus.

eric