My apologies, I realized that there might be a modification needed to the HTML5 design of registerProtocolHandler, in that URN and XRI are better designed to work, in many cases, with registration to a specific namespace. For example, one application might only wish to handle urn:earthquakes or xri:http://example.com/myProtocols/someProtocol which hopefully registerProtocolHandler could be expanded to allow such specification without interfering with other URN/XRI protocol handlers which attempted to handle a different namespace.

thanks,
Brett