Am 31.12.2010 17:30 schrieb Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis:
On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Martin Janecke<whatwg....@kaor.in>  wrote:
[snip]
Apart from informing human readers about the correct reproduction of a
misspelled word, a HTML<sic>  would indicate the same to web applications.
Think of a search engine, which, as one factor of their ranking algorithm,
considers orthography and grammar in a page as quality factor. The search
engine could be made to ignore (reasonably few)<sic>-marked errors in such
an algorithm; i.e. not let<sic>-marked errors rank the page lower.

Would search engines benefit from markup for this?

They could actually benefit, if the correct spelling would be added in an attribute, so they could match the misspelled word with a correctly spelled search term; somehow like:
<sic correct="choose">chuse</sic>

This would probably lead to abuse by seo trickers:

Also, I assume that this search engine benefit can already be achieved with existing markup: