On 2011-01-17 18:36, Markus Ernst wrote:
Am 17.01.2011 17:41 schrieb Jeroen Wijering:
We are getting some questions from JW Player users that HTML5 video is quite wasteful on bandwidth for longer videos (think 10min+). This because browsers download the entire movie once playback starts, regardless of whether a user pauses the player. If throttling is used, it seems very conservative, which means a lot of unwatched video is in the buffer when a user unloads a video.

Could this be done at the user side, e.g. with some browser setting? Or even by a "stop downloading" control in the player? An intuitive user control would be separate stop and pause buttons, as we know them from tape and CD players. Pause would then behave as it does now, while stop would cancel downloading.

I think that's the right way to do it, this should be in the hands of the user and exposed as a preference in the browsers. Although exposing (read only?) the user's preferred buffer setting to the HTML App/Plugin etc. would be a benefit I guess as the desired buffering could be communicated back to the streaming server for example for a better bandwidth utilization.

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/