?> If that's what you were responding to, then I think your response is
simply incorrect. There's nothing whatsoever that requires that a web browser freeze up its UI while parsing a script. If it does so, it's a quality of implementation issue, pure and simple.

You don't need to be more efficient to avoid freezing the UI. You just have to not do the parsing work in a single shot on the main thread.

I can't speak definitively as to how the JavaScript engine is implemented (and if the code is significantly different between mobile and desktop). But I can say that even if their code is substantially the same, I could still see it quite plausible that the device itself locks up (not the browser) if there's just simply too much going, taxing its limited CPU power. Heck, I have times when my powerhouse desktop freezes for a brief moment when I have a lot going on. Exhausting the CPU is not a difficult thing to imagine happening on these tiny devices.

I can also see it quite plausible that mobile OS's are not as capable of taking advantage of multi-threading (maybe intentionally forbidden from it in many instances, for fear of battery life degradation). Perhaps it's simply not possible to multi-thread the parsing of JavaScript in parallel to the UI rendering. If that's the case (I really am completely guessing here), then it's not exactly a "quality of implementation" issue as far as the JavaScript engine is concerned, but more an issue of how the mobile OS is designed and integrated with the device hardware. Regardless, considering such things is way outside the scope of anything that's going to be useful for web developers in the near-term dealing with these use-cases.

Even if you're right and the fault really lies with the implementor of the JavaScript engine (or the OS), that's still a fruitless path for this discussion to go down. No matter how good the mobile JavaScript engine gets, I promise you sites will find a way to stuff too much JavaScript down the pipe at the beginning of page-load in such a way as to overload the device. That is a virtual certainty.

And I'm saying that I just don't want this feature getting in the way of browsers improving. As long as it doesn't, it's fine by me.

I don't want to cause browsers to be less performant or hold them back from improving. I want to help developers have an option to increase performance in those cases where the browser's automatic processes to do so happens to fall short. I believe there must be a way to achieve both goals simultaneously.

Now you may be right that authors who really want to screw up like that will just do browser-sniffing hacks of various sorts and still screw up. But it's not clear to me that we need to make the barrier to shooting yourself in the foot lower as a result....

That sounds more like a question of degree (how much we should expose to the developer, and how) than the principle (should we expose it). In any case, I don't see much evidence that suggests that allowing an author to opt-in to pausing the script processing between load and execute is going to lead to authors killing their page's performance. At worst, if the browser did defer parsing all the way until instructed to execute, the browser simply would have missed out on a potential opportunity to use some idle background time, yes, and the user will have to suffer a little bit. That's not going to cause the world to come crashing down, though.

What's VERY important to note: (perhaps) the most critical part of user-experience satisfaction in web page interaction is the *initial* page-load experience. So if it's a tradeoff where I can get my page-load to go much quicker on a mobile device (and get some useful content in front of them quickly) in exchange for some lag later in the lifetime of the page, that's a choice I (and many other devs) are likely to want to make. Regardless of wanting freedom of implementation, no browser/engine implementation should fight against/resist the efforts of a web author to streamline initial page-load performance.

Presumably, if an author is taking the extraordinary steps to wire up advanced functionality like deferred execution (especially negotiating that with several scripts), they are doing so intentionally to improve performance, and so if they ended up actually doing the reverse, and killing their performance to an unacceptable level, they'd see that quickly, and back-track. It'd be silly and unlikely to think they'd go to the extra trouble to actually worsen their performance compared to before.

Really, let's not always assume the worst about web authors. I believe in giving them appropriate tools to inspire them to do the best. If they do it wrongly and their users suffer, bad on them, not on the rest of us. That's not an excuse for recklessly poor implementation of features, but it IS a call for giving some benefit of the doubt from time to time.

In other words, forbid the browser to start parsing the script, right? How would you tell whether a browser implemented this as specified?

I could tell if the browser let me control execution pretty easily. As for telling if the browser were deferring parsing to a useful degree, I'm sure that the only way to actually determine that would be test a site with a particularly long script file (length being a rough approximation for parsing time), and see just when (between load and execution) the big parsing delay (as observed previously) was happening. If the lock up still happened during page-load right after the script loads, even though execution was specifically deferred, that would seem to be the browser being stubborn and uncooperative.

OK. I definitely agree that better user control over when script _executes_ is a good idea. Sounds like we're on the same page there.

I think that what should happen is, if a web author chooses to defer the execution of a script (easily detectable if it's not ready for execution when loading finishes), the browser should get the strong HINT that maybe the parsing should be put off until later (and perhaps until execution time).

If a little bit later, the browser detects a period of idle time and hasn't yet been told to execute the script, and it wants to go ahead and attempt that parse preemptively, that's not really so bad. But if the browser instead insists on parsing the script immediately after loading it, then it's failing to recognize the spirit of what's being asked for here, and I'd call that a failed implementation.

Do you see how what I'm asking for is not direct forcible control over parsing but some way to strongly encourage the browser to defer both parsing and execution until later, when *I* say I want it to? Ultimately, if it choses option C and parses at some point between load and execution, when the browser/device is truly idle, then it's a win-win for both of parties. But automatically parsing right after load can quite easily become a lose-lose, and so there should be some way to clue in the browser to that reality.

--Kyle