Am 13.03.2011 21:46 schrieb Aryeh Gregor:

2) How much work should we go to to produce nice-looking markup?
E.g., if the user unbolds "baz" in

should we produce something like

like WebKit does, or would it be okay to do

to avoid the complexity, given that this sort of markup shouldn't be
too common?  I think it's clear that something like "<b>Foo baz
should we go?

IMO, from the moment you decide to use <b> and not style="bold" (be it due to a user selectable mode or not), style="bold" should actually be totally avoided. Thus, the CSS bolding in your example should be replaced by <b> tags:

I think that the code generated should be homogeneous, independent from the original markup (which may be copy-/pasted from various sources). That means, the bolding in your example would be changed to <b> already when the contenteditable element is built, or when the fragment is pasted in.