On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Jason Grigsby <ja...@cloudfour.com> wrote:
> Are you saying that all of the image source listed in srcset would have the
> same aspect ratio? In the example Hixie provided, face-icon.png is a
> different ratio.
>
> Another way to read this could be that you’re fine so long as your sources
> with different densities (e.g., 1x, 2x, etc) always have the same ratio. If
> so, I’m unclear on how that solves the problem when you have images that need
> different cropping like the Nokia example which is vertical in one case and
> horizontal in another.

That's what I'm saying.  Authors *can* ensure that, within a
particular breakpoint, their multi-res images all have the same ratio.
 It's a good idea, since the *intention* is that the multi-res
versions are all exact same image, just at different resolutions.

If you don't do that, you get unpredictable results, but you asked for that.

If you *do* do that, then you know what your aspect ratio will be, and
you can predict which breakpoint will be chosen and pair that with MQs
to adjust the rest of your layout.

~TJ