On 08/02/2012 06:57 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

But now consider the short-term cost of adding an element to the head. All
it does is make a few elements in the <head> leak to the <body>. The page
still works fine in legacy UAs (none of the elements only work in the
<head>).

But it will break any scripts or selectors that depend on position in the DOM. For that reason I expect many pages that include intents won't "work fine" in UAs that don't have parser support. I agree with Henri that it is extremely worrying to allow aesthetic concerns to trump backward compatibility here.

I would also advise strongly against using position in DOM to detect intents support; if you insist on adding a new void element I will strongly recommend that we add it to the parser asap to try and mitigate the above breakage, irrespective of whether our plans for the rest of the intent mechanism.