Den 14-08-2014 kl. 23:02 skrev Jonas Sicking:
On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Jesper Kristensen
<m...@jesperkristensen.dk> wrote:
Hi

Would it make sense to tie the system lock to a notification?

For example:

new Notification("Processing...", {tag: "abc", progressBar: 0.8, wakeLock:
"system"});

There are many myths and rumors about how to conserve battery on mobile
devices. A small improvement could be to require apps to show some kind of
UI whenever they are allowed to consume resources in the background.

The main use case for system locks in my mind is for applications that
need to do some short but important processing. For example a camera
app wanting to do some HDR processing of an image before saving it to
disk. It seems like it would be very annoying if a notification was
shown any time the user took a picture.

I still think it's a very interesting idea though.

Both Android and iOS have notifications showing whenever any app does background sync (although you cannot easily see which app it is, which I think is an issue). So I think it can be implemented in a way that is not too annoying. In addition you could choose to only show the notification when the page holding the lock is in the background.

/Jesper Kristensen