On 2014-11-14 08:02, Evan Stade wrote:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Roger Hågensen <resca...@emsai.net> wrote:

On 2014-11-13 20:20, Evan Stade wrote:

Currently this new behavior is available behind a flag. We will soon be
inverting the flag, so you have to opt into respecting autocomplete="off".

I don't like that browsers ignore HTML functionality hints like that.

I have one real live use case that would be affected by this.
http://player.gridstream.org/request/
This radio song request uses autocomplete="off" for the music request
because a listener would probably not request the same bunch of songs over
and over.

autocomplete="off" will still be respected for autocomplete data. This
should cover your use case.

Also, banks generally prefer to have autocomplete="off" for credit card
numbers, names, addresses etc. for security reasons. And that is now to be
ignored?

I'm not sure what security threat is addressed by respecting
autocomplete="off".

SSN, PIN, and so on.
Sure, it's the users responsibility to ensure their PC/laptop/tablet is secured. But it's very quick to press 0-9 and you got a pin, that being said a bank should have two factor anyway (or better), and pins can be changed. SSN can not though. Also the government is pretty strict in Norway on the leaking of SSN (here's it called Personal Number though) and in that case they start with 0-9 so it's quick to get the autocomplete to spit it out.

This is also autocomplete, not Autofill (in Chrome parlance).

In that case, my mistake, autocomplete, autofill, autosuggest, input history, it all kind of blurs together, so apologies for that.

Would there be any point in having a per FORM autofill on/off instead?
That way if a autofill="off" is set for the form itself then the user could be prompted "This site wishes to not store any form data, Agree? Yes! No" and then have the browser remember the choice the user made (so the next time based on the user choice, the form is either autofilled or not). and maybe word it better than I did there. And if the autofill="off" hint is missing (or set to "on") then the user is never prompted.

This would give even more power to the user than currently.

If it was my bank I would probably (if shown such a prompt) prefer to not have anything autofilled or autocompleted. But if it was a comment form on a blog I'd probably want that (autofilled and/or autocomplete etc). As a user I should be able to choose that easily. (digging around in advanced settings is not what I'd call easy.) The key though is it defaults to autofill and the user prompt only appears if autofill="off" is set as a parameter for the form, and the user choice is remembered.

Geolocation data is prompted for in a similar way as to what I describe here right?

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/