On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <phil...@opera.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I see, is this a policy that's applied even with a single <video> in a
>> page, or is it something like a limit on the total number of players
>> that can be created, or limits on how much stuff (decoders) they set
>> up internally? Presto actually had a limit on the number of players on
>> 32-bit systems, as one might otherwise run out of virtual memory with
>> just a few hundred <video> elements...
>

> There are various kinds of resource limits. The problem with those is that
> they're fragile and make behavior unpredictable.

Yeah, this is tricky, obviously no browser could successfully load a
million <video> elements up to readyState HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA
simultaneously, but making that fail in the same way cross-browser
seems like a big task.

If the behavior could be made interoperable for when resources are not
a problem, that would be a good start at least. The spec can say that
the browser should at least try to ready HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA for
preload="auto", to rule out artificial limits if any browser has them.

Philip