On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 8:27 AM, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 8:18 AM, James Ross <ja...@james-ross.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Support is certainly poor; Internet Explorer/Trident and Edge both support
>> negative playback rates on desktop (I haven’t tested mobile) but do so by
>> simply showing the key frames as they are reached in reverse, in my testing.
>
> That's not so hard to implement, but it's also mostly useless since
> keyframes are often several seconds apart or more.

It could be useful for a few usecases like fast-backward. Windows
Media Player does it this way.

FWIW, QuickTime supports per-frame backward playback if you press and
hold the left arrow. I guess they cannot guarantee the rate, which
makes them require holding the key instead of providing a playback
rate setting.

- Xidorn