> Tested using the included hbase-ec2-cdh recipe:

I've tested using the same configuration file and it looks like a
permissions / environment setup issue to me because HBase shell works
as root as expected.

> The zookeeper.cfg ends with:
> ---
> clientPort=2181
> server.0=localhost:2888:3888
> ---

This is indeed a configuration problem but as you've seen it only
generates a warning. We should track this down and fix it.

> When you it on your local machine (run hbase-proxy.sh, export
> HBASE_CONF_DIR=~/.whirr/hbase-cdh) you get another result:
>
> status
>
> ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MasterNotRunningException: null
>
> (I don't know if it makes a difference, but I locally have cdh3u1
> packages, while the cloud instances have cdh3)

I guess it makes (not sure) because it seems like the cluster is
actually running as expected.

Cheers,

Andrei