What quickly comes to mind is

interface datasource {

        long count();

        // access to lv would allow retrieval of sort order/filter info
        list retrieve(int first, int count, ListView lv);

        // not sure how these 2 would work of if they are necessary, but
maybe they can help to eliminate index based approach
        serializable objecttoid(object obj);
        object idtoobject(serializable id);
}

I wish I had enough time right now to create an example and confirm that
something like this would work and/or is adequate, but I have meetings all
day starting in 10 mins ;( maybe tomorrow.

Igor