There are plenty of components in wicket that write out html directly to the
response stream, sometimes it is the best and easiest solution.

In this case all we are interested in is generating a simple grid layout
that hosts cells. Is it easier to write your own renderer to customize your
css or whatever as opposed to having to write markup for two dataviews
everytime and making sure you get that exactly right.

With a renderer all you do is:

        [cell markup]

Anyways, if you don't like it I wont implement it until I need it :)

-Igor