I use the idea of a
public interface Tab {
   IModel getTitle();
   Panel getPanel(String panelId);
}

My tabbedpane component takes in a list of Tab object, this allows me to create the panels dynamically - only when they are accessed by the user. I think this is a better approach then creating all the panels at once and toggling visibility because it significantly decreases session size. My component uses replace(Component c) to switch the panels.

-Igor