Every time we're running into syntax discussions (see 'replacing OGNL') I feel
that Wicket is deviating from the Java way.

I think all the following suggestions would better be left unimplemented:

<input wicket:message="value=my-key" type=.../>
<input wicket:message="value=my-key, class=another-key..."/>
<input value="message:key=my-key" type="..." />

This is leaning in the direction of Tapestry (with special $prefixes) or real
attribute languages
(http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/AttributeLanguage). TAL is
great but Wicket's main selling point is (and should stay) Java.

Every input field has a Wicket component anyway, so the origin of their
attribute values should be in Java models, attribute modifiers or behaviours -
not in HTML.

The initial request for easier 18n of static labels was valid:

<wicket:message key="myKey">Default Message</wicket:message>

IMHO this is striking similar to our auto linking tag:

<wicket:link autolink="true"> ... </wicket:link>

Anything else is opening a can of worms.

Just my 2 cents

Sven