Hi,

Yes. After all, the name is "Converter", not "TypeConverter".

   Ari S.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eelco Hillenius" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wicket-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Wicket-user] TextField and trimming blanks at end (and maybe at
beginning)

It's potentially dangerous, second that. But the argument of whether
it is a good use of converters or not aside, when I put on my user hat
and look at that API, *I* would expect conversion to happen from input
parameters to my model properties regardless whether it has the target
type or not.

this might have nasty side effects that we do not see right now. for example
converters are going to start running on things they werent running on
before. how is this going to affect existing applications?

furthermore afaict the intention behind converters was to have a generic
/type/ conversion framework for use inside wicket core. you can see they are
intended to be /type/ converters by looking at the javadoc of
IConverter.convert(Object, Class). how is a trimming string converter that
is running on values that are already strings and trimming them going to
affect places in wicket's core outside form processing?

i still dont think this is the right approach. we should think of something
else.

> getInput would be fine if we were just starting development. But we have a
big
> application going to production soon and I'm seeking some kind of another
alternative
> than telling all developers to change their TextFields to
MyTrimmerTextFields.
so why are you just now thinking about this? sounds to me like you are
dealing with this issue too late. (not that we are not willing to help you)

-Igor

 I agree with Ari and I am not against removing that check.

Eelco

http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmdlnk&kid0944&bid$1720&dat1642