The description is a bit whacky. A panel is a container that replaces
any contents. I.e. you can draw a box on your screen and if that was a
panel, that whole box would be replaced by the contents of the panel.
A box is kind of te opposite. It is meant to decorate a component; it
draws around it. Please check out the component reference in
wicket-examples.

Eelco