Well, there is pageable list view, which can be used with the same
effect. Basically, the repeater packages (which dataprovider is part
of) are higher-level and more focused on common need, whereas
ListViews are the generic list support components. If you have to do
database driven stuff, and things like sortable/ pageable/ etc,
repeater packages have a lot to offer.