Alexander Lohse schrieb:
As I am coming from PHP I am used to a very quick function-call to find the size of an image. In Java I have to read the whole image into memory, which takes very long in terms of request-time.

You don't have to read the entire image. The dimensions are usually embedded in some meta-data section, so it is not necessary to decode the entire image just to get the dimensions.

This is how you get the dimensions from image files:

ImageInputStream i = ImageIO.createImageInputStream(new FileInputStream(file));
try {
   Iterator<ImageReader> r = ImageIO.getImageReaders(i);
   if (r.hasNext()) {
      ImageReader reader = r.next();
      reader.setInput(i, true);
      width = reader.getWidth(0);
      height = reader.getHeight(0);
      formatName = reader.getFormatName().toLowerCase();
      reader.dispose();
   }
} finally {
   i.close();