On 4/30/06, Martijn Dashorst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'd like to see a component level as well to support multi-request component
storage, bound to a window. This would encapsulate component specific state
which can be used over requests, and rolled back using our versioning
strategy.

I think that'll be very, very hard. Also, as long as we expect
components to live in a hierarchy - and in fact we plan on even make
this more strict with the constructor change, I see no added practical
value for something that will complicate things enormously.

I still have to think about the details and more usecases, but I already
have a couple of components that require session storage. Currently they are
application specific, but I could envision that they grow to
multi-application reusable components. Using session storage, they are now
directly bound to the application specific session object. I also have to
implement my own versioning strategy, whereas it could be something Wicket
takes care of.
For instance, a BreadCrumbs component could trace breadcrumbs over pages,
and store the information locally inside the session storage specific for
the component. The user of the breadcrumbs component then doesn't have to
transfer the state of the component to subsequent requests, all that is
hidden from the user of the component.

Why not use models for that? Storing your state in a session together
with a factory to create the breadcrumbs components using that state
sounds like a much better idea to me. Though I don't know much of your
use case.

Maybe you should further formalize your ideas on this. What would it
conceptually (that's the last time I use that term today, promise!)
mean to have such components, and how could they live outside of a
hierarchy. And if you think we should have something like that, how do
you feel about that famous constructor change?