If you want to get hold on the actual exception that has been thrown you
need to override the ExceptionResponseStrategy in
DefaultWebRequestCycleProcessor. Do something like this:

In you WebApplication extended class:

@Override
protected IRequestCycleProcessor newRequestCycleProcessor() {
        return new MyDefaultWebRequestCycleProcessor();
}

MyDefaultWebRequestCycleProcessor.java:

public class MyDefaultWebRequestCycleProcessor extends
                DefaultWebRequestCycleProcessor {

        @Override
        protected IExceptionResponseStrategy newExceptionResponseStrategy() {
                return new IExceptionResponseStrategy() {
                        public void respond(RequestCycle requestCycle,
RuntimeException e) {
                                requestCycle.setResponsePage(new
MyExceptionPage(e));
                        }
                };
        }
}

And then you can have your exception page:

public class MyExceptionPage extends WebPage {

        public MyExceptionPage(Throwable throwable) {
                add(new Label("title", throwable.getMessage()));

                // and whatever you like
        }

        @Override
        protected void configureResponse() {
                super.configureResponse();
                getWebRequestCycle().getWebResponse().getHttpServletResponse()

.setStatus(HttpServletResponse.SC_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR);
        }

        @Override
        public boolean isErrorPage() {
                return true;