I had the same problem... I eventually checked out the entire wicket svn instead of just the wicket core.. ie do a checkout on

https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket/branches/WICKET_1_2/

vs

https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket/branches/WICKET_1_2/wicket

Then "mvn install" on the WICKET_1_2 root directory.. then proceed with "mvn install" on the wicket subdirectory (wicket core)

Aaron