Well,
should i say i have specifics yet, okay yesterday i was trying to make a small customizable menubar widget and i needed a way to ensure that an time i want to reuse it or even give it out for others to use, they can simple change certain general schemes in the CSS like border color, background image, etc...

Now currently, whatever CSS you package as a wicket resource with the widget is what users stick to. Now somewhere in my code I had to do this:

ul.append("border-top: 1px solid " +
                this.bordercolor +
                ";");
        ul.append("border-bottom: 1px solid " +
                this.bordercolor +
                ";");
        ul.append("background:url(" +
                this.linkBgImage +
                ") repeat;");

Basically if i did not want to make anything reuseable, i could stick to the normal wicket way, just dump some CSS in the header and then any reuse will have to keep it that way. But i dont think it will be much fun to keep recoding styles into your wicket component everytime you need to reuse it. Infact a wicket developer like myself..i am really taking time to build up my widget framework so that laying out interface for any coming project will just be add(), add() and add().

Now what i think is just some form of templating support for CSS: Since CSS is not an XML file (i really wonder why CSS is not XML) but in a file called

MyWidget.css

.${wicket:id of component that needs this css} ul {
border-top: ${border-thickness}; solid ${border-color} ;
background:url(${bg-image}) repeat;
padding-bottom: 3px;
padding-top: ${pad-top};
}

Something like this...and then in my custom component, i want to

class MyWidget extends Panel{
private Component component;

add(component = new Component(wicket:id)
}

maybe some interface or a class for filling in the css parameters in the ${}.

But Wicket will generate the CSS header from the template on behalf of that component and attach the class attribute etc etc.

hey..wait i think i can even develop something like this right now...even as i am talking about it, its kind of clear to me what i can do.

ah sorry to bug yu guys with RFC ...thanks eelco