What URL do you exactly display in the iframe? I think the behavior is
caused by PageMap in 1.2 which behaves as stack. So to get over this you
have to put the page that is shown in the iframe to separate pagemap.

You can change the pagemap in which wicket is created by either
specifying it in Page constructor or as URL parameter of
bookmarkablePages (wicket:pageMapName=myModalPageMap)

-Matej