but what happens if you have a row filled and the user adds another item, then you need to create an entire new row w/out repainting the rest. the gridview wasnt designed with ajax in mind, so i see two situations - rewrite gridview with ajax sutt in mind or create a separate ajax grid view that can do all this.

-Igor