I've just finished new (ajax based) tree (version for wicket 2.0 is in
svn (/svnroot/wicket/trunk/wicket-sandbox/users/matej_k/tree) )

It's about to be ported to wicket 1.2 and it will likely be a part of
wicket-extensions. It might help you because it works with TreeNode and
not DefaultMutableTreeNode.

-Matej