ah, it was overridden in the older version. now we have support for special containers that can be transparent to the component hierarchy - which means components dont have to be added directly to them but instead to their parent.

border.setTransparentResolver(true);

is the magic call that tells the border to be transparent

and since the markup is like this

the contents of extending pages will be rendered inside the border.

see the javadoc on border.settransparentresolver or whatever it extends from.

-Igor