Yep. Override getCss:

        protected PackageResourceReference getCss()
        {
                return new PackageResourceReference(FooTree.class, "bar.css");
        }

Also note that since a few days (will be in 1.2.2) there is a new tree
component put in extensions for 1.2.x, and will replace the tree in
core for 2.0. That tree is leaner and meaner, and has very nice
features like running in ajax mode etc. You might want to check that
out. They both work with Swing's TreeModel.

Eelco