i have recently deprecated springannotwebapp so this no longer should be a problem. now to get spring injection going you do this:

class myapplication extends webapplication {
   init() {
     addComponentInstantiationListener(new SpringComponentInjector(this));

thats it, no need for extending any spring related application object.

-Igor