10x for the answer, but
1. i actually tried returning a label before i posted got the error:
Expected close tag for '<button type="button" wicket:id="moveUpButton" class
button up">' Possible attempt to embed component(s) ' up.gif ' in the body
of this component which discards its body.

I can't really understand what it requires.

2.Well the thing is the palette would contain some items, and the available
items that the user can choose would depend of the items the user has
already chosen. That's why i need to submit at every new inserted item, to
present the new list of items the user is allowed to chose from.

I guess it's not a quick fix and the answer would be to create my own
component based on the sources of the palette.