it also explains why java gets its feature improvements at such a snail pace, and why generics/autoboxing are so horribly half baked (imho of course). if you are looking for stability then dont cross the major version threshold. eg we will never horribly break api between 1.2 and 1.3. our primary concern is to innovate and improve the framework - sometimes that means taking a step back and radically rethinking some concepts - which leads to huge api breaks. we save these for major versions.

-Igor

On 8/24/06, Erik Brakkee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> The API will change constantly, but not dramatically. i.e. I seriously
> doubt that *all* components will have to change again. But some minor
> things are bound to change.

I hope the changes will be mostly compatible, if not fully. API changes
is what drove me away from Tapestry. The change from version 3 to 4 was
so big that it is simply easier to learn and use wicket.

Can't wicket use the approach followed by SUN which is never to change
an interface in a downward incompatible way but instead to add new APIs
and make old ones deprecated or extend them? I believe SUN would have
been completely out of business by now if they would have changed
fundamental Java APIs.