Hi guys!

I've used quite a few different PHP based CMS', and really do find
Joomla to be the best laid out and designed (Drupal and Typo3 are a
close second and third).  I've been toying around with the idea of
designing my own open source CMS using Wicket, Spring and Hibernate,
but really haven't made it too far.  One thing I have thought about
though is where I would start, and what I would consider to be minimal
CMS functionality.  Using Joomla as a base (version 1.0.x - version
1.5.x is in alpha, but still not finalized), I would focus on:

1.  Core capabilities for managing static content, broken down into
sections and categories.
2.  Ability to use templates.

Joomla offers a lot of functionality through it's use of modules,
components and plugins, but for a start (in my opinion), a basic CMS
should allow for clean and organized handling of static content,
presented in a visually pleasing way (Joomla does this quite well).
After these basics are out of the way, you could then focus on more
exciting areas, such as replicating Joomla modules as Java portlets
through Wicket.

Anyways, hope this helps - thanks!

Hugh.