Sure - but honestly I don't want to convince anyone
they need Shades.

One problem I found with JDO was that the
PersistenceManager was not serializable. Another is
that detachment had to be handled explicitely.

In Shades all pojo's are inherently detached. Change
tracking is automagic. The DatabaseSession is
ultra-leightweight and totally appropriate for keeping
in a Session.

A big innovation in Shades is how identity is handled
- that really solved a lot of problems for me related
to change of identity within transactions. Identity is
a much more fluid concept in Shades, due to the
dynamic ORMapping interface, which you can even
implement on the fly as an anonynmous inner class.

To be clear, I found ways to make JDO work just fine
with Wicket. Certainly JDO was a huge step forward in
making it easier to use Pojo-based frameworks like
Wicket.

I blogged a bit on my motivation for Shades:
http://notskateboarding.blogspot.com/

-geoff

http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642>