De-lurking twice in one day, rare indeed;) I'm very much in favour of
the "toolkit with a capable sample application" approach though.

When I've used PHP I've found that the concept of a plug-in for a PHP
CMS is very informal and undefined. If you want to create a file upload
plug-in you write a file upload page. You tie it into the rest of the
CMS almost as an afterthought.

This lack of rigour leads to some very ugly plug-ins code wise, but
makes it very easy to write a plug-in or change existing functionality.
I think that is why there is such a community and so many available
(often overlapping) plug-ins.

The Java response to this (JSR-107) has been to create large monolithic
CMSs which use template engines to hide some of the complexity. In
practise, it makes does make basic templating simple while extending
functionality or adding new functionality actually becomes more
daunting.

I think this would ultimately be just as true of a large CMS using
Wicket for presentation as any of the other presentation layers in use.

I also think it misses the point. Simplify database access with
Hibernate. Simplify the presentation by hiding complex code in
components. Ditch templating in favour of some loosely coupled Wicket
pages using Wickets own HTML separation. I think you'd end up with
something that competes very well with PHP in terms of simplicity and
ease of modification while retaining access to the benefits of Java.

All this is just my opinion, and a simpler sample application like what
I envision could easily grow into a larger CMS with time or co-exist
with a more ambitious CMS project.

Troy