Frank Silbermann wrote:

> Just glancing at your link for a few seconds, and reading the earlier
> comment that it looks like ASP.NET with VS.NET, I would guess that Web
> Objects provides a library of components that you can paint onto your
> pages, automatically generating the custom tags in your HTML file.

Yes, but you don't have to do it that way.

> Suppose you are customizing a component by setting many properties, and
> using it with those settings on fifty different webpages.  In Wicket, I
> can create a method which instantiates a web display object, sets its
> properties and returns it.  I can then call that method every time I
> want to instantiate a web object with those settings.

You can, of course, do that with WO as well.

> What facility does Web Objects provide that lets you avoid having to
> re-set those properties fifty times?

... and however you choose to construct your "web display object" it is
(naturally) also a component that can be used as a building block for
other "web display objects".

> (Isn't the inconvenience of adding slightly-customized variations of
> components to the toolset the reason most Swing GUI programmers end up
> building their GUI in code instead of using some IDE's graphical
> GUI-painter?)

Most people just don't want to change their way of doing things (and
some graphical GUI-painters are not very good).

You seem to think there is only a fixed and limited set of components to
work with - why assume something like that?

/Anders